Skip to main content

Coastal Kitchen Restaurant St. Simons Island


One of my favorite restaurants on St. Simons Island in Georgia is Coastal Kitchen.  It is located just a few minutes from my home in the Morningstar Marina complex. There are several things that I really enjoy about Coastal Kitchen besides the food – which is always delicious.  I have to say that I really enjoy the view.  They have one of the best restaurant views on St. Simons.  Large windows give a terrific view of the Frederica River and all the boats moored at the marina.  Boat traffic is common along with a multitude of birds and other wildlife.  Coastal Kitchen offers inside dining along with an outside patio section for even better views.
Often times, Coastal Kitchen will have a band playing out on the front deck and the drinks flow faster than the river!  Speaking of drinks.  Coastal Kitchen has a very good bar and as far as I’m concerned, the coldest Coronas on the island.  I am an avid SCUBA diver and after diving one of the offshore Georgia wrecks, I always stop into Coastal Kitchen for a cold beer to wash the salt out of my mouth.  It really is heaven!
I have a couple of recommendations first being please make a reservation if you are having dinner.  This restaurant is very popular and not having a reservation makes for a very good chance you’ll wait or have to go someplace else.  I have a couple of favorites with tops on the list being George’s Bank Scallops And Local Shrimp.  The shrimp and scallops come seared and served over a Ginger Spiked Butternut Squash with Pistachio Meuniere And Haricot Verts.  All very fancy but just as good! $24.  My second choice would be the Wild Georgia Shrimp And Grits.  Made with Andouille Sausage, Bell Peppers, Smoked Tomato And Bacon Gravy, Vermont White Cheddar Grits which I believe are the best Grits you’ll ever eat! $19.

During my most recent trip over for lunch, I had the Asian Tuna Salad with mixed greens, cashews, red peppers, tomatoes and Thai cilantro vinaigrette $12.  I have to say the Tuna was just ok and the Thai cilantro vinaigrette was a bit overpowering.  I usually go for something like the Blackened Fish Tacos.  Blackened red grouper, black beans, cilantro lime slaw, pineapple salsa which is awesome $12.

Service is usually very good although at times can seem to be a bit slow.  It's at that point you need to remember you are there to enjoy yourself, relax and have a good meal.  McDonalds drive thru is pretty quick if you are short on time.  The restaurant decor is also very nice with linen tablecloth and comfortable seating.  The bar area has a few hightops and eating at the bar is also allowed.  I've often found that eating at the bar affords me an opportunity to meet one of the many liveaboard sailors who stop and frequent Coastal Kitchen while moored at the marina.  Always a nice time talking to these mariners who also crave a bit of chit chat after long days on the ocean.  Most times you'll find the owner, Jeff Montaigne, running about checking on things.  Make sure to say hello, Jeff is a very friendly guy and from what I've seen, loves to stop and chat with patrons too.  A typical bill of a shared appetizer, two entrees, drinks or a bottle of wine and dessert will run about $80 not including the tip.  They have a very nice wine selection and very competent bartenders so go ahead and order that Old Fashioned or Manhattan.  Coastal Kitchen – go for the food and go for the view and you will not be disappointed with either.
Coastal Kitchen is located at the Golden Isles Marina just off the F.J. Torras Causeway to St. Simons Island Georgia.
102 Marina Drive
St Simons Island, GA
31522
Phone: 912.638.7790


The bar area

The view

Thursday night special


Of note, there are very affordable condos available in the Marina with beautiful vista views of St. Simons Sound and the Frederica River area as well as mooring slips available for sale.

Jeff Williams, Realtor
Coastal Georgia Real Estate Associates
912-270-0032

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Creek Entrance

UPDATE: 10-25-13 The Christmas Creek entrance this year is to the North of the creek mouth.  As you go South along Cumberland Beach you'll see the shoaling a few hundred yards East of the mouth of the creek.  Enter Christmas Creek between the shoaling and the beach as you go South.  As you enter the entrance between the shoals and the beach, look for your hard right turn to go directly into the creek mouth.  Best to try at least an hour after low tide for that area.  If you plan on coming out after high tide, best to be at the mouth no later than 4 1/2 hours after high tide unless your boat draws less than a foot like flats boats and Carolina Skifs.  I like to go in about an hour after low tide and fish through the rising tide and then make my way out.   I made this update because this Blog post is one of my top posts which I wouldn't have know when I originally wrote it. Christmas Creek has some of the best fishing around and if you are new to it or would like to try

How to catch Blue Crabs on St. Simons Island

I know I love to eat our local blue crabs and if you do too, then here is an excellent video from Capt. Mark Noble.  Mark has been a long time friend of mine and he grew up on St. Simons Island.  There are many ways to catch blue crabs and in this video Mark can show you how he does it.  You don't need a boat either - I've caught some beautiful stone crabs with a crab net right off one of the many docks that surround the area.  Many times, I'll hang a crab net off the back of my boat while I'm fishing and catch plenty.  So a crab net off the St. Simons Pier or one or two of the crab baskets in this video and you can have yourself a big time. Here's Mark's website - he is one of the top charter captains around so check him out if you'd like to take a Golden Isles fishing charter.  http://www.georgiafishing.net I shot the video and edited this for Mark and as my reward, he let me take the crabs home for a terrific family crab boil!  

Jekyll Island Horseback Riding

The girls and I had the boat out on Saturday.  We anchored just off of Jekyll Island on the St. Simons Sound side.  The girls went swimming and walking along the beach.  Before too long, a group riding horses on the beach came strolling by.  I really love horses and have been riding them myself for many years - whenever possible.  I do a lot of fishing down around Cumberland Island which is well known as a Georgia island that still has a population of wild horses.  There are positive and negatives to this population of horses.  While they are protected from people, they are not allowed to be cared for at all whether it is food or vet needs.  I see lots of horses and new foals in the marshes munching on seagrass and walking along the beach.  It is always a real treat to see one of Cumberland Island's wild horses! Just another great part about living along Georgia's Coast. The next time you are visiting Jekyll Island, a great idea would be to do a trail ride along the beach.