Skip to main content

The best bike for Island life!

Living on the coast of Georgia is a lot of fun and if you choose an active lifestyle, a bicycle is must have.  I have owned a lot of bikes in my life starting with a brand new burnt red 10 speed Schwinn my parents bought for me back in 1977.  It was too big for me but I grew into it after a year or so and then enjoyed the heck out of it until it was finally stolen out of our garage a few years later.  I gave up bikes when I got my first car, a 1971 Plymouth Duster but found myself back on the bike during my college years.  Later, I moved into downtown Savannah where a bicycle is a must have due to parking shortages.

When I first moved to St. Simons almost 4 years ago, I purchased a new 21 speed Schwinn hybrid.  It is a mix of a mountain bike frame with road bike tires.  I disliked the bike from the first time I rode it which really hampered my enthusiasm for riding around the island.  So basically, I parked the bike and on a whim would ride it and then put it away for a few more months.  Then I started dating Mindy who had her own island bike - a Townie.  Which finally introduced me to the Townie bikes made by Electra.

I immediately learned that these bikes are expensive and that minor issue made these bikes not so much for me as anyone who knows me, knows I'm chea..... er thrifty.  Mindy's Townie 3i with balloon tires cost about $900.  My 21 speed Schwinn was less than $200 at Walmart.  So I poo poo'd her bike as an overly expensive luxury.  Timing though was catching up to me and the Townie would eventually win me over.

My daughters had been enjoying Schwinn bikes too but my youngest daughter's bike was completely worn out and destined to become the 'extra' bike for visiting friends.  I did take my older daughters bike into Monkey Wrench Bicycles on St. Simons to have it fixed up though but in the meantime, she had taken to riding my adult bike.  So my plan was to pass my bike to Hannah and Hannah's retooled bike to Rachel and then buy myself a new one that I might enjoy more. A classic hand me down situation.  While having my daughter's Schwinn retooled at Monkey Wrench, I took a closer look at the Townie bikes that Monkey Wrench sells.  They had a really nice 7 speed men's bike in graphite for $499.  I spoke to Mindy about it and whether it would be worth it to buy a Townie or go back to Walmart for something less expensive.  She was emphatic that I should go for the Townie and I would be much happier with a better quality bike in the long run. I was skeptical but she is pretty and smart.  So I gathered up my wallet and purchased my new super expensive luxury style Townie 7D 7 Speed.

I learned right away that the Townie bicycle is the most comfortable easy riding bike that I have ever been on.  I enjoyed the ride right from the beginning and confessed to Mindy, "ok, I know what the big deal is now, I get it."  With it's lightweight aluminum frame, Shimano gears, linear pull brakes and alloy rims - it is truly an ease to peddle and go from place to place.  The Townie's biggest asset is it's forward peddle system which allows you to easily sit straight up while peddling which feels great on your back after a long ride.

Living on one of the islands means taking advantage of the lifestyle that it affords.  We have miles of bike trails on St. Simons and you can get just about anyplace you want to go.  I believe the Townie is one of the best bicycles you can buy for cruising around but any bike will get you out and peddling around the island.  Monkey Wrench on St. Simons has a great selection of bicycles and with your purchase comes free lifetime servicing.  Yes I said free.  Once a month, just take your bike in and they'll check the tires and brakes, oil the chain and give it a once over.  Ocean Motion, a local beach store that rents bikes, has a once a year sale of their bikes.  Give them a call and they'll let you know when the next sale is going to happen and you can get yourself a great used bike for around $100.

My new Townie bike


Here are a few links you might enjoy:


Also, I currently have two condos for sale on St. Simons Island at Gascoigne Bluff Condos - located right on the bike path and just minutes to the beachs and villages around St. Simons.

The price has been reduced on this 2 bedroom 1.5 bath condo to $117,900!  A great price for a beautiful move in ready condo.
Check it out here:  http://www.navicamls.net/displays/?n=414&i=660134&k=pBGG

Just email me if you would like info on the 3 bedroom 1.5 bath fully furnished condo I also have for sale.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Creek Entrance

UPDATE: 10-25-13 The Christmas Creek entrance this year is to the North of the creek mouth.  As you go South along Cumberland Beach you'll see the shoaling a few hundred yards East of the mouth of the creek.  Enter Christmas Creek between the shoaling and the beach as you go South.  As you enter the entrance between the shoals and the beach, look for your hard right turn to go directly into the creek mouth.  Best to try at least an hour after low tide for that area.  If you plan on coming out after high tide, best to be at the mouth no later than 4 1/2 hours after high tide unless your boat draws less than a foot like flats boats and Carolina Skifs.  I like to go in about an hour after low tide and fish through the rising tide and then make my way out.   I made this update because this Blog post is one of my top posts which I wouldn't have know when I originally wrote it. Christmas Creek has some of the best fishing around and if you are new to it or would like to try

How to catch Blue Crabs on St. Simons Island

I know I love to eat our local blue crabs and if you do too, then here is an excellent video from Capt. Mark Noble.  Mark has been a long time friend of mine and he grew up on St. Simons Island.  There are many ways to catch blue crabs and in this video Mark can show you how he does it.  You don't need a boat either - I've caught some beautiful stone crabs with a crab net right off one of the many docks that surround the area.  Many times, I'll hang a crab net off the back of my boat while I'm fishing and catch plenty.  So a crab net off the St. Simons Pier or one or two of the crab baskets in this video and you can have yourself a big time. Here's Mark's website - he is one of the top charter captains around so check him out if you'd like to take a Golden Isles fishing charter.  http://www.georgiafishing.net I shot the video and edited this for Mark and as my reward, he let me take the crabs home for a terrific family crab boil!  

Jekyll Island Horseback Riding

The girls and I had the boat out on Saturday.  We anchored just off of Jekyll Island on the St. Simons Sound side.  The girls went swimming and walking along the beach.  Before too long, a group riding horses on the beach came strolling by.  I really love horses and have been riding them myself for many years - whenever possible.  I do a lot of fishing down around Cumberland Island which is well known as a Georgia island that still has a population of wild horses.  There are positive and negatives to this population of horses.  While they are protected from people, they are not allowed to be cared for at all whether it is food or vet needs.  I see lots of horses and new foals in the marshes munching on seagrass and walking along the beach.  It is always a real treat to see one of Cumberland Island's wild horses! Just another great part about living along Georgia's Coast. The next time you are visiting Jekyll Island, a great idea would be to do a trail ride along the beach.